I’m going to move away from Feedburner, as I am no longer confident in it’s long term viability. This is thanks to Google shutting down reader and moving everything towards the walled garden that is Google Plus. So, if you are one of the two or three people that still follow this blog via RSS, you’ll want to move to the feed at http://greg.nokes.name/feed instead of any other. I will not be shutting off the feedburner anytime soon but that day is coming.
One of the interesting things about using a tool like iTunes for a long time (over 5 years for me) is that you can build up a lot of metadata around your use of that tool. In iTunes there are really two pieces of metadata that are interesting to me – the number of times that I have skipped a song and the number of times that I have played a song. I’ve used the smart playlists feature for several years to surface intreating songs that have not been played in a while or other such neat stuff.
Today I wanted to find something – what were my most played songs? Well, there were a few in there that were not my favorite songs for sure. So I went ahead and added in a new search criteria – most played song that I had not skipped.
So you want to build yourself a custom heroku buildpack, and you want to do it the hard way? Look no further, for within lies insanity.
There are a few caveats that you’ll need to understand. The first, is to use google and make sure that some one else has not already embarked on your particular path of insanity. The second is that there are easier ways then this path. You’ll especially want to look at things like Vulcan, which will make parts of this a lot easier.
One of my many failings is a need to understand how things work at their core. So I actually took the time to do this the hard way, and determine exactly what was going on at each step. Hopefully this helps you in some way, and you’ll not have to follow me.
While hacking at my favorite tavern, I noted that I needed to update a gem file. When I tried, gem said that it had succeeded, but there were some odd little errors:
And the gem had not incremented it’s version. Hmm.
I decided to fire up my hotspot and see if that changed anything, and yup. Bingo. Success. Gem updated! Best I can figure they are blocking something that gem needs. So, if I had found this article before that, I would have saved myself 20 minutes of troubleshooting.